How to build and execute a roadmap amidst a volatile, complicated year ahead
Let's make 2023 not 2022
🚀 Want to learn about Product Management? CheckOne Month PM
. We run cohort-based Live-Learning on PM Foundations, Growth PM, Web3 PM, AI PM, No Code, UX Design and Data for PM. Every program starts at €99(+VAT).
This is a great moment to go back to your 2022 Roadmap and compare it to what happened throughout the year. Here are some principles to design, communicate & execute a roadmap in a volatile year ahead:
1. Be extremely open to change, so you can iterate quickly before it’s too late.
2. Keep the planning process simple, invest in building quicker to learn faster.
3. Plan shorter timelines. Instead of closing out the entire year, focus on H1 and see how it plays out.
4. Decentralise: teams on the field have faster feedback loops. Get them in the process earlier, and owning more.
5. Design the roadmap with customers, instead of locking yourself in an office room for a few days.
6. “What got you here won’t get you there”. Past data might not tell the whole story for this year as consumer behaviour is changing massively.
7. Double down on what’s working rather than risking too much. Especially if you’re strapped with resources.
8. But if you’re on a tight deadline don’t do incremental things. Bet big with conviction or the needle won’t move.
9. Make sure goals align with strategy and strategy aligns with roadmap. If there isn’t a straight line, you probably shouldn’t do it.
10. Invest in the narrative. In turbulent times people need strong stories to find the way. Become the storyteller as much as the strategist and planner.
As you plan 2023, aim to “make it seem it’s in the room" by the end of the year 😂 Good luck 🖖