Tools to build products faster and lighter
Are you a new PM, founder, or in charge of building a new product from scratch? The best thing you can do is cultivate a “less code” culture. Don’t build the “usual”, rather focus on accelerating your learning rate and getting eng/product/design focused on core value stuff. How? Here are some tips:
- Need to build homepage/landing page? Build them on Webflow. More flexibility to experiment positioning without “wasting” engineering effort tweaking pages.
- Need a backoffice or Dashboard for internal team or clients? Build it on Retool. Ops teams evolve quickly, so should Ops tools. Rarely product teams prioritise ops tools.
- Need integrations or an API? Build it on Zapier. Unlocks a world of APIs. Don’t depend on bespoke engineering integrations.
- Need customer communication? Build it on Mailchimp. Super flexible API, pretty cheap, and Marketing teams don’t depend on engineering.
- Need data and metrics visibility? Build it on Metabase. Querying accessible to everyone. Don’t depend on engineering having to pull data for you.
- Need to onboard clients? Build it on Typeform. Onboarding flows change quickly, you need more data or to explain better. Don’t depend on design/eng to tweak constantly.
Don’t have engineering capacity in house but need to build stuff to learn? Use Bubble to get going. Don’t get stuck in your powerpoint deck hoping to close funding/convince a tech co-founder.
It's never been easier to build a product, but it has also never been easier to "waste" engineering/product resources where you don't need to do.